Friday 5 August 2011

Do I really need another mentor?

My 'official' mentor is my Chartership mentor, I followed CILIP's advice and chose someone in a different field. This is useful as I have to explain more of what I say so I have to think more, which is sometimes known to be a good thing...  On the other hand it is difficult to get field specific advice, she's really informative and has helped me by suggesting events to attend which is great but then there's the question of what will happen once I finish my Chartership? We've both agreed a timeframe but it's hardly likely to be the end of all contact as we both attend similar events, so when does it end?

As for unofficial mentors, I have several, there are so many people at work that I can approach for advice/guidance (for different reasons) so it basically depends on what it is I want as to who I go to. I personally like the idea of having the choice of people to go to, this way i'm not tied to any one person so do not have to wait until they return from holiday or try to hunt them out at work or have the hassle of finding someone new once they move on. Some may call it fickle, some may call it wise but it works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment