Tuesday 16 August 2011

Let's share

Thing 13 is about the different ways to collaborate by sharing access to documents, whether to edit or just to view. Applications like Google Docs and Dropbox are fantastic ways for multiple people to be able to edit the same document, particularly useful when project teams are made up of people from other institutions.

I haven't used Google Docs or Dropbox before but I have used a wiki as part of my MSc. One of the lecturers set up a module and we each had to write 2 short pieces on a topic and add them to the wiki then pick someone elses piece and write a bit about that. This would also be easily transferable to work, having a wiki would be a good way to collect and share information, if someone found out something which may be of use to people in the future just put it on the wiki.

I like the idea of the wiki, having one place to put information which is accessible to everyone who needs it wherever they need it, which I guess is the point of all of these apps, but the wiki seems more accessible to me. One thing for me to try harder with is exploring the other apps and seeing what they can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment