Wednesday 5 September 2012

Experience through Volunteering

Months between posts then 2 in the same day!!

I have always preached about the value of volunteering, you can learn so much by simply donating your time. It doesn't cost you anything and you gain so much, plus, you don't have to go through the dreaded interview, there is no wrong.

The latest voluntary thing I'm doing is helping to arrange a fundraising party through CDG. What I have gained through this-
  • Project working - my job does not involve any sort of projects, despite repeatedly asking to be picked for projects I have yet to see my name come out of the hat. I now have experience of working as part of a project team.
  • Liaising - while I do some liaising as part of my job and through CDG as Website Officer I am now developing my liaison skills, especially important when you're trying to get freebies as prizes!!
  • Time management skills - I am helping to organise a party, a raffle, do my job and have recently moved into a flat which needs gutted, it would have been impossible without good time management skills.
  • Networking - again, it is often overlooked but I have worked with people I would not normally even meet so it's been interesting.
  • Advertising/publicity - I have helped to advertise this event by creating a Facebook event and promoting it on CDG event pages.
I have gained and developed valuable skills through something which I am actually enjoying doing, organising a children's book themed fundraising party, how many people can actually say they developed professionally by doing fun activities? My advice, if you haven't already tried it, sign up to a voluntary group and get involved, especially if you're in a situation where you feel you have done as much as you can within the confines of your job. Your time will be appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. "Volunteers are worth a mint!" My boss used to say. I just recently wrote a book about a volunteer who saves the library from bank robbers! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete